Translate

Sunday, November 17, 2013

THE ENCHANTED ROCK

Shelia and I headed toward The Enchanted Rock.  I thought we would drive out, take some photos and head down to San Antonio.  We were surprised when Newfo decided to meet us there.  Looks like we are going to climb that big thing. That big thing is a huge pink granite dome, rising 425 feet above ground. This is a State Natural Area.  The Tonkawa Indians believed ghost fires flickered from the top and heard groaning sounds coming from the rocks.  The sounds come at night when the rocks, heated by the hot sun, cool and make noise. Some call it the Crying Rock or Spirit Song Rock.  Native tribes believed the rock is a holy portal to other worlds and that one becomes invisible nearing the top.
















This was quite the climb for me, but I made it.  I was so excited to have accomplished this climb.  I had to look for life growing out of the beautiful granite, but there it was. After such a climb, we three were tired and we each found our place on the rock for napping.  Let go the magic.
We three hiked back down, criss-crossing our way as we did on the way up.  Oooo I am going to be sore tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment