Translate

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Crabtree Falls




Looking over my life-to-do list recently, I decided to hike the Crabtree Falls trail. My friend, Cynthia, went with me. Between that hike and the walk we took the dogs on before setting off on this trail, we walked 7 miles on Memorial Day. Crabtree Falls, the highest vertical-drop cascading waterfall east of the Mississippi River, is a popular attraction located in Nelson County, Virginia, just six miles off the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway near milepost 27. Crabtree Falls features a series of five major cascades and a number of smaller ones that fall a total distance of 1,200 feet. My body was screaming at me after a while, but oh the reward. The mountain laurel and rhododendron were in full bloom. The view from the top of the falls is wonderful and there is something other-worldly about the sound of that water falling with such force. And, oh, the things you see along the way. The beauty in this world never ceases to amaze me.





















I love moss. I was so happy to see this wall of moss.











Getting closer to the top.




















Nothing like being on top of the world. Cynthia and I sat on a huge rock resting and eating the lunch we brought along. I felt I had really accomplished something getting to the top.





Then there is the hike down. Don't ever think down is easy. I did not realize that I would be checking two things off my life-to-do-list, but now I count the hike down as a separate accomplishment. I was certain I had blown out my knees. Two days later I called in sick and slept the better part of 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment