Translate

Monday, July 23, 2018

ALASKA Day 2


The state of Alaska's 663,268 square  miles is more twice the size of Texas, and makes it the largest state in the US. It’s bigger than the 22 smallest states added together. Yet according to 2018 estimates, Alaska is home to only 738,068 making it the most sparsely populated state in the US. Anchorage is the state's largest city with an estimated population of 304,000.  Wow, you do the rest of the math.

Alaska is the United States’ northernmost, westernmost and easternmost state.  While most Americans identify Alaska as the most northern and western state, it also contains the U.S.’s easternmost point by longitude.
Alaska’s closest point to Russia is Little Diomede Island, located in the Bering Strait between the Alaska mainland and Siberia. Big Diomede, Russia is only 2.4 miles from Little , Diomede, Alaska.  The US, in  1867, agreed to purchase Alaska from Russia. Statehood was granted in 1959.  Google tells me that Wasilla, where we stayed during our visit, is 659 miles from Little Diomede Island.  Sorry Sarah, you cannot see Russia from Wasilla. I know you live there, but I was just there and as hard as I looked for it, I could not see Russia.  Google is my go to so I Googled "did Sarah Palin say 'I can see Russia from my house'? Google tells me she actually answered a question from Charles Gibson asking about what insight she gained from living so close to Russia by saying: "They're our next door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."  So why do we attribute the former quote to Sarah? Turns out that line originated from a Saturday Night Live spoof during one of Tina Fey's wonderful skits during the election.  Unfortunately for Sarah Palin, she will forever be associated with that quote.  
Only 20 percent of Alaska is accessible by road. Despite a its land mass, Alaska only has 12 numbered highways. This means most of Alaska is wilderness – untamed, untouched, beautiful wilderness. We drove some of those roads during our visit. Now, let me share with you what we saw.


The clouds here make things feel so other-worldly.






Glaciers do, too.



Plant life.




Creeks.




This was one of my favorite stops today. 







Thanks to our tour guides for such a wonderful day.



Life feels real good.  Let go the magic.




No comments:

Post a Comment