Google+ Followers

Monday, July 6, 2009

Visiting Rich and Linda

I was invited to spend July 4 with some friends who run a B&B in Monterey, VA. I had not visited with Rich and Linda in quite some time. I used to help them a little when they first started running the B&B. Helping out there satisfied my desire to run a B&B and it gave me an escape on weekends from my real life. I soon became attached to the town and many of the people there. I purchased and operated a Gallery for a couple of years, which I sold to Rich and Linda when I left Monterey. The three of us have made a lot of history together. My life spiraled out of control for a long time. I tried to keep everyone outside of the spiral, and in doing so, lost touch with many people that I cared about. Rich and I started reconnecting when he started reading my blogs. Through them he could see that life was returning to me and he saw the me he knew so long ago, the me I had so carefully hidden. He is right. Because time heals and sometimes we are fortunate enough to find our way back…to spiral our way back outside of the spiral. And if we are really lucky, we find those we cared about and we reconnect…as if it were yesterday.

I joyfully accepted the invitation. I prefer traveling in my vehicle because it allows me to pack options. I put new tires on my battered mountain bike (circa 1978) and loaded it into my car because Highland County is a great place to ride. I took lots of CDs (duh), a book (What Southern Women Know, recommended by a friend) and flannel PJs (cause I love crawling into them). I was glad that I had taken a long sleeve Tshirt and a jean jacket as I needed them in the cool mountain air. Some would say Monterey is one of those places that ya can’t git to from here. Yes you can, and the gittin’ there is good. It is a beautiful drive across 4 mountains (or is it 3 mountains and a ridge?). Arriving felt like coming home. I got to stay in my old room.

The house is on Mill Alley (it travels east and west, or is it north and south???)

And there are beautiful old rambling roses that grow over the wall in front.

Rich and I stopped in to say hello to Joan, who was shop sitting.

Then Rich and I did some porch sitting. That's what you do when you want to get reacquainted with someone. Rich and I had a lot of talking to do, so we porch sat.

Nothing like a dog at your feet when you are porch sittin'...

and a good glass of wine served in a beautiful glass purchased in the Czech Republic.

We aren't the only ones that like to sit this perch, I mean porch.

Linda was working at the Gallery while Rich and I were porch sitting. We were glad when she got home. They didn't have anything for me to play my CDs on, but she introduced me to Pandora Radio on the internet. I discovered some music I don't have, but I will.

The salmon, corn, broccoli salad and fresh baked bread made for a wonderful dinner. We sat at the table with a view.

After dinner, one should take an evening stroll. Especially when you live in a picturesque place like this. My favorite walk is up the hill to the cemetary behind the house...cause of the kind of stuff ya see on this walk.

I used to walk up to the cemetary often, back in the day. The first time I walked here I "met" Mary Cook. I have visited her often since our first encounter. I like that she tells you she had lived 60 years, 1 month and 23 days when she died October 6, 1901. I am so curious about her. Why would someone have inscribed on her tombstone "She hath done what she could"?

Sunday morning Rich and Linda served bacon and blueberry buttermilk pancakes while some of us watched and waited patiently.

Making pancakes is quite a science, which requires math skills when doubling the recipe. Sshh! Don't anyone talk. When you do, Rich forgets what he put in the batter last. Was it sugar??

While breakfast was being prepared, I got the boot. Rich's boot that is. I wanted to go outside in the rain to photograph the squash blooms. I put on Rich's boots, tied them around my leg and I was good to go. Boots, PJs and a little coffee. You have to take me as I am.

Great breakfast. It fortified me for the entire day.

I got to visit Joan and Tom before leaving town. Some people are afraid of Tom cause he is a tough cookie. But not me. I think he is a teddy bear.

Joan is quite the gardner. She loves it. I love what she does.

I gotta tell Shaun to let Tim know I spotted another successful hangy-upside-down-tomato plant.

I started driving back home over the the rain. I was wet and cold when I got home because I had to stop a few times to take photos or just to look. Sometimes you just can't get the camera ready fast enough. Like when the black bear crossed the road in front of my car. I pulled over to watch him as he climbed the hill and was satisfied with that.

I am grateful that Rich saw a glimpse of the me he once knew and that he and Linda invited me to their home. It felt like coming home. Staying in my old room. The familiarity of the kitchen. The cemetary walk. The porch sitting. My long catching up talks with Rich. I was happy to see Tom and Joan once more. This place and these four people took care of me in many ways during the 2 years I lived here. They were an important safety net for me. They were the comfort zone I needed. I'm glad they did not give up on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment