Translate

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Kristen's Graduation



My sweet Krissy Kakes recently graduated from high school. Do you remember your graduation night? I do. I’ll tell ya about that later. This blog is for Kristen.



Kristen, I remember when your mother announced to me that you were in her womb and on your way to our lives. I remember getting the news of your arrival. I remember watching you grow from a baby to a toddler to an awkward teenager. I watched you accept that high school diploma. And yet, I don’t remember when you became such a young lady. Did it happen overnight? Did I look away? You must have been on the verge when you, your mother and I were having our girl’s movie nights. How did I not recognize this? Your future, the one where you become in charge of things, has always seemed to me to be a lifetime away. Now it is here. Are you afraid? Does the future scare you? Excite you? Both? Are you eager to fly or do you want to linger in the safety of home a little longer? Maybe you want to ease your way into adulthood? I have been listening to the lyrics of It’s A Climb by Miley Cyrus. I think of you when I hear it. Do you know the words?

There’s always going to be another mountain,
I’m always going to want to make it move,
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I 'm gonna have to loose,
Ain’t about how fast I get there,
Ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side,
It’s the climb.

Just remember, when you do climb those mountains, there is usually a downhill. Sometimes it can be a terrible downhill slide. But, sometimes it is a joyous ride. The mountain, whether uphill or downhill is a place where your self esteem will grow. I hope you will want to move the mountain because then I will know that you are becoming a confident, determined young lady who is not afraid to tackle problems or to reach for your goals and dreams. And sometimes you will fail. Don’t ever think that failure is a bad thing. We all fail. We all learn by those events. I try to look at my failings as a gift. It makes you stronger, better, more independent, and a more determined person. When you do fail or simply stumble, we are here for you. To comfort you. To guide you. To hug you. To encourage you to keep trying. To remind you that we, too, have failed. To help you open your heart and mind to the gift you have just been given…to understand the message. If you listen to the life lesson you are given and use those lessons to make better choices in the future, you will soar. We all love you so much.

Your sweet brother was so happy and proud of his little sister on her graduation day.


Mommy Marsh, Rendy and Bradley waited for you to march down the aisle.



And your Dad waited for his Princess to experience this initiation day.



The mandatory family photos got taken.

And you traded places with Bradley for a moment.



Auntie Paulie likes Ryan, the boyfriend.


Please keep the child within...your mother and aunts have...


Remember, it is not the destination, but the journey that affects you. It is the journey, the climb, that you remember and from which life’s lessons come. Now go light your own torch, my sweet thing. And call me if you need me. All my love, Auntie Paulie.










No comments:

Post a Comment