Translate

Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Little Time With The Family


My brother and his wife came for a visit from sunny CA.  Drawn by the need to spend time with an aging mother, they have come to VA once a year for the last few years.  This is their first visit since our mother passed away. 

Steve and Moncy were here only a few days this time, but I was fortunate enough to make dinner for them, which has become a traditional part of their visit.  Cynthia joined us. As usual, the entree was an experiment.  Stevie pointed out that I have never had any fear with experimenting on my dinner guests.  What is the point if you cannot try out something new on others?  I served Swai, scallops, corn, salad, really good bread with optional butter or olive oil and balsamic vinegar (of course) and some fine wine. 

Timmu and Sara hosted the summer family get together.  Some of us had pool time...
 and talk time...
and lots of laughter.

 Steve shocked us with his presentation of a family history project he worked on for over a year. Each of us received a large notebook filled with the results of his geneology research. 

I was astounded by the volume of information he had collected.  Steve also gave each of us a hard bound pictorial family history.  Every time I look at it, something new is revealed about someone in my family.  Some of these tidbits and stories shock me, some beg more information, some make me laugh and some make me cry. This book is the best gift I have ever received...by far.  Thank you, Stevie, for your dedication and hard work in putting this together for us all. I need to make you a nicer dinner the next time!

The following weekend, I went to Roanoke to spend some time with my sister and niece.  I occassionally show up with movie options that I hope the three of us will enjoy so I arrived with an arsenal of films.  To change the visit up a little, I suggested we explore the downtown Market area on Saturday afternoon and Mill Mountain after dinner.  So off to market we go...

 
 We loaded up bags with all kinds of vegetables that would become dinner.



We had lunch at On The Rise...one of the best sandwiches I have ever had! After lunch, we explored a couple of shops.


After lunch we drove around town as I had not been in that part of Roanoke in years. A little depressing, but hope floates in renovation efforts.


We made our way to Green Valley to see the house my nephew recently purchased and then picked up Marsha's dear friend Cricket. We went home and everyone did their part in making dinner with all those wonderful veggies from the market. 

Cricket was very fond of our mother and has known the family for years.  Sharing Stevie's family history books with her was very touching.


Marsha, Cricket, Kristen and I drove to the top of Mill Mountain after dinner. The night sky was so beautiful.  I could not resist a separate blog about the Mill Mountain Star...check it out. 



Cricket loves the vanilla ice cream at Sonic so we all had that treat to finish off the night. Alas, too late for a movie.

Miss Dolly and I drove home Sunday after I filled myself up on Mike's pancakes.  I was tired when I got home and decided I would be lazy that evening.  My friend Harold is always up for a movie, so I invited him to watch Hemingway and Kellhorn. Never heard of this 2012 movie featuring Nicole Kidman and Clive Owen?  It got terrible reviews.  Someone wrote that Clive Owen could have called in his performance. Still, Harold and I did not complain as we watched all 155 minutes.  Thanks, Harold.  You are always there when I need ya. 

Wow. This blog took a while.  What shall I do now?  Dolly seems to be contemplating the same thing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment